Ready to Were

Ready to Were

by Robyn Peterman

4 out of 5

Synopsis
I was a top notch Were agent for the secret paranormal Council and happily living in Chicago where I had everything I needed –  a gym membership, season tickets to the Cubs and Dwayne – my gay, Vampyre best friend. Going back now would mean facing the reason I’d left and I’d rather chew my own paw off than deal with Hank.
 
Hank the Tank Wilson was the six foot three, obnoxious, egotistical, perfect-assed, best-sex-of-my-life, Werewolf who cheated on me and broke my heart. At the time, I did what any rational woman would do. I left in the middle of the night with a suitcase, big plans and enough money for a one-way bus ticket to freedom. I vowed to never return.
 
But here I am, trying to wrap my head around what has happened to some missing Weres without wrapping my body around Hank. I hope I don’t have to eat my words and my paw.



Review
Essie has spent the last year proving herself to be one of the best new agents for the Council.  But everything begins to waver when she is assigned a mission that will take her back to the hometown she ran away from.

This was an awful lot of fun!
Ready to Were is an easy read.  It doesn't have particularly in-depth characters; nor is any of it's plot-twists actually twisting or surprising.  But if you want a light paranormal read, with enough wit and intrigue to be very entertaining, this is it!

Essie is very confident, and determined to solve the case of the Weres missing from Hung Island.  She is also determined not to have sexual relations with the sherriff and former-squeeze Hank.
I found the real reason behind their spilt no surprise at all.  The progression of their relationship was also fairly predictable.  But it didn't seem to matter - what happens between Essie and Hank has a feeling of inevitability about it, and it doesn't detract from them doing their job and finding the missing girls.

The rest of the characters were suitably amusing.
I think Dwayne managed to be my most and least favourite character!  The gay vampire best friend was brilliantly blunt, and I loved how he would start a particular story and then stop, leaving you to wonder what the hell had happened in his long life.  And not forgetting his introduction to the local drag scene.
But I found some of his emotional outbursts a little too much (OK, not some, all of them, definitely all).  

Anyways, I look forward to the rest of the series.  Make sure you check this short story out - it's currently free on Amazon!

Goodreads link
Amazon.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Demon Made Me Do It - Indie Love Blog Hop

Trick or Treat Book Blog Hop

Birthday Bash