The Wicked King

The Wicked King

by Holly Black

5 out of 5

Synopsis
You must be strong enough to strike and strike and strike again without tiring.

The first lesson is to make yourself strong.

After the jaw-dropping revelation that Oak is the heir to Faerie, Jude must keep her younger brother safe. To do so, she has bound the wicked king, Cardan, to her, and made herself the power behind the throne. Navigating the constantly shifting political alliances of Faerie would be difficult enough if Cardan were easy to control. But he does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her even as his fascination with her remains undiminished.

When it becomes all too clear that someone close to Jude means to betray her, threatening her own life and the lives of everyone she loves, Jude must uncover the traitor and fight her own complicated feelings for Cardan to maintain control as a mortal in a Faerie world. 

Review
Jude is going to the extreme limits to keep her family and the world of Faerie safe. Dodging enemies and deadly politics... the worst thing is, she likes it.

This follows on from The Cruel Prince, where Jude tricks her long-time enemy, Prince Cardan, into becoming the new King of Faerie. Not only that, he has sworn to be under her command for a year and a day.
Using her puppet king, Jude is able to manipulate Faerie, making it strong, and making it safe for when her little brother Oak is old enough to take the crown. Being a human that can lie becomes so important, as Jude navigates family drama, threats to the crown, and the constant belittlement from the Fae, who don't realise this puny human is their real leader.

I had glimpsed a few reviews and comments about this book, before I read it (thankfully no spoilers), and I was surprised at all the hate that Jude's twin sister was getting. Yes, Taryn is simpering and annoying. Yes, she had a hand in breaking Jude's heart...
Post book  - I hate Taryn.

I also really wanted to hate Cardan in the end. Wanted to, not sure if I can manage it.

There were some great twists in this book that I didn't see coming. I think it's amazing how deceptive and sly this race is, when they can't tell lies.
I don't want to say anything else, because I'm afraid I might spoil it.

I can't wait for the third book!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Darkest Part of the Forest

Welcome to my potentially terrible new blog.

Cress