How to... get ready for a Book Event

How to... get ready for a Book Event


This summer I am sharing some of my tips for attending book events, to hopefully aid new authors, and those stepping out to events for the first time.


Blog Posts:



Today I am going to be sharing my insight into what I take as standard to all of my book events, and where I get everything from.
Please keep in mind that I am a Fantasy author, based in the UK; and that I buy from UK suppliers.




1. WHAT BOOKS TO TAKE

The Books

The big question for authors - what books to take with you?
Once you've been to a few events, you'll get to know how many sales you can expect.

Keeping in mind, I've only gone to mid-size one-day events so far.
I generally take about 10 copies of each of my books, and sometimes take 12 of my series starters, because they tend to sell a little more.
(When I go to the bigger multi-day events next year, I will be taking a lot more - I'd love to hear from any authors that have already done them, and how many books they take!)

As I only have 3 series, and physically 13 books; I currently take all of them.
As my catalogue of books grows, I may have to pick and choose which gets the limelight at each event.


The Buying

Wherever you get your books from, I recommend ordering them EARLY.
My paperbacks are printed by Amazon (Print on Demand), and I tend to do a stock-check and order books about 3 weeks before the show.

Whichever printer/publisher you use, you need to find out the lead time for printing and delivering.

As much as I've griped about Amazon this year - when they're good, they're very good.
When you publish paperbacks with them, you can order "author copies", much cheaper than getting them from the Amazon website, etc.
For example, with my latest order (August 2022), my book The Shadow Rises is 240 pages, and costs about £4.00, once transport is factored in. This is about half the RRP on the Amazon UK site.
It usually takes 1-2 weeks for the economy delivery.


The Selling

When it comes to setting your books' prices, it is completely up to you.
I remember when I started, I felt like I was a fraud; that I had no right to charge a similar price to other books. I felt that I had to make things as cheap as possible, I wasn't allowed to make a profit.
It took a while for me to realise that, even though my books might not be all that great, and they might not be everyone's cup of tea; I am still allowed to make a modest profit.
(Note: this is me causing my own doubt - other authors and event organisers have always been totally supportive.)

Originally, I used to sell all of my books with a small "event discount". But as I started to finish full series, I've changed that to selling my signed books at the same RRP as Amazon, with a discount if people buy the full series. Both prices have worked well in the past, so it's really up to you how you play this.
So, I buy The Shadow Rises for £4.00, and sell it at £8.99. Which means that, if I book an event for £50, I need to sell roughly 10 books just to cover the table.


2. HOW TO MAKE YOUR TABLE LOOK PRETTY



Tablecloth(s)

Now you have your books, you'll need somewhere to display them.
Most of the events provide tables and chairs, but you will have to take your own tablecloths.
I cannot stress that enough - you don't want to be the only person with a bare table!

Most tables are 6 x 2 feet (although different organisers may have different sizes).
I just bought mine from the Range. I decided to buy two, because I wanted it long enough to hide the boxes that are under the table.


Stands

You have such pretty books, it would be a shame to not make the most of them.
I would highly recommend having a bookstand like this:

I get mine from eBay, when I bought a set of 10, they cost me less than £2 each.
They've lasted me a good few years, and really make the books stand out.

As my series have expanded, and I've needed to add another row of books on the table, I did look into getting a fancy ledge or desk tidy thing. But after struggling to find something that would fit chunky books inside (and after a disasterous purchase from Wish), I decided to go for the simplest solution... I simply used a stack of books to elevate the back row, because I have plenty of books to hand...


Bookmarks vs. Business Cards

Before my first event, I bought a pack of business cards, because I thought that was what I was supposed to do.
They're fine, they have their place; but when I got bookmarks I really started to see the difference. I'd give out one or two business cards per event, compared to fifty bookmarks!
I think they are so much more effective.
Personally, when I get given a business card - even with the best intentions - it gets put in my purse with my out-of-date Morrisons vouchers. And I only remember it's there when it's too late.

Bookmarks, on the other hand, are useful. I give them out free to anyone who wants them; and I give them away with every book purchased. That's all of my author details right there when people are reading. Perfect.
You can do both, both is fine. But if you were to choose one, I'd go for bookmarks.

I've been using Helloprint to produce my bookmarks for years, and they always produce great quality work, and a fast delivery.


Posters

These are optional, it depends how you want to fill your table and promote your work.
I've always had posters of my covers, because my cover designers are awesome, and their artwork is so much more interesting than anything I can come up with.

I always have 3 posters on my table.
An A4 one with my price list in;
And two A3 ones displaying my covers.

I usually buy my posters from Helloprint.

If you want to experiment with posters, I'd probably go for A4 ones. Mainly because successfully propping up an A3 poster is a pain in the arse.
I tried looking for everything, but whereas A4 picture/poster holders can be propped up on a table; A3 often only does bloody wall hangings...
(Sorry for the mild swearage, but these really annoyed me!)

Eventually I found some plastic free-standing holders, that do a good job. I've previously bought them from Amazon and eBay; but after my last lot was flimsy, I have now given UK POS a go.
(Be careful the plastic isn't too thin - I've had them buckle under their own weight, within a couple of hours.)



Roller Banner

Again, this is optional. If you're going to your first event, maybe check out other roller banners and see what you like, and what information you want to include on it, before you commit to buy.

I also use Helloprint for my roller banners. The standard banner costs about £40. I've had two - my first one lasted a good few years before it started to look tired.
I've just got a new one, which is still shiny, and makes me happy.

I design my own images to go on the banners and bookmarks; but Helloprint do offer a fairly straight-forward online design programme.
Alternatively, you can pay someone to make it for you - your cover designers are a good start, as they are already familiar with your work, and vice versa!


Bags

Optional. The people attending the events will probably have plenty of shopping bags to handle, so it's not the end of the world if you don't provide one.

I originally looked at getting paper bags with my logo on, but it was very expensive at the time.
I decided to use biodegradable clear plastic bags, because I thought my book covers looked so much better than my unknown logo.
I've bought them previously from Amazon and eBay.

Times are changing, though, and I'm looking at getting paper bags once my current lot of plastic ones are used up.

Helloprint deal - if you are interested in giving them a go, click this link to get £15 off any order over £70!
https://www.helloprint.co.uk/ref/AAPW-4AHA


Insurance

I know, exciting stuff.
Depending on the venue and event, you may need public liability insurance. This is to cover you for any accidental damage to people or property.

Some smaller venues, and purely-book-events may not require insurance; but larger venues insist on it.
Some of them will make it a mandatory part of booking, that you have to provide your insurance reference. Others will be less formal.

Luckily, being an attending author at an event is very low-risk. I only pay about £25 a year with Direct Line. For that price, it's definitely worth investing in!


I'd love to hear what part of the set-up is your favourite !
Post below to share where you are based, and your insight!


Today's rambling has been brought you by muggins, a.k.a. the author, K.S. Marsden.


Links:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toi’s Top 5 Angel Books Blitz

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue