Destroyed

Destroyed

by L.A. Starkey

5 out of 5

Synopsis
From the second book in the Soul Keeper Series… 

Now I lay me down to sleep, 
Whom shall I trust my soul to keep? 
If I should die before I wake, 
I leave to fate my soul to take. 

The seal has been broken and the Soul Keeper Prophecy set in motion. Marcus and Nicolas are battling for the heart of one woman, Pandora’s only daughter; however, not everyone is playing by the rules. With interference from both sides of the lines and too many deities with hidden agendas, the trio must take matters into their own hands and look for another ending, one that removes control from fate. 

Can they find the missing page from the prophecy that has the ability to change everything? 

Will the new stranger they’ve been given as a guide assist or mislead them? 

Will Samantha make a decision on who it is that she truly loves, saving one and destroying the other? 



Review
Sam has unlocked a millennia-old prophecy, that ties her fate to that of Nick and Marcus.  Humanity is on the edge of disaster as they play out the role Fate has decided for them.  But Greek Gods hardly play fair.

Ok, so this is the second of the Soul Keeper series.  I loved the first book - clickee here for the review. (psst - Deceived is now free to download from Amazon, so check it out!)

Destroyed picks up where Deceived left off.  Well, in a straight linear time progression.  It actual reverts a few weeks as far as Sam is concerned, as she wakes up without any knowledge about who Marcus and Nick really are; nor does she remember about what happened to Julie (which was actually heart-breaking when she had to go through that pain again).
Unfortunately, Marcus and Nick are bound by the prophecy, not able to reveal anything to Sam.  She has to learn it all over again, as her dreams slowly awaken several lifetimes of memories.
But one thing is clear, she is in love with both boys; and they have a very important mission ahead (even if the who, what and why of that mission is very murky).

Ok, I'll confess that for most of the book, it was tootling along as a happy 4 star.  It was good, but I wasn't completely bowled over like the first one.
I thought it was missing a few of the aspects that I loved from Deceived - the sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek humour was definitely toned down.  I mean, I know this is where everything gets serious, as we're immersed in the plot, but I can't remember any part that made me chuckle.  Luckily, Sam's inner monologue was still there to make me smile - I think she's my favourite non-character.

There was also no Brent, or very little.  Apart from a cameo at the hospital, he doesn't feature at all, which was a little disappointing, I'd been hoping to see more of his character!
Because most of the story is in the hospital, and then a weekend away in Seattle, the characters that we met in the first book are glossed over and left behind.  That being said, for the brief flash that Sam's foster parents are mentioned, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy (cough, this may be the only time I ever say those three words).  It was really sweet that she finally decided to break down her walls, let her adoptive family in, and call them mum and dad.

There was the introduction of new characters in this book (mainly Greek Gods).
Aphrodite, although she bordered on annoying, was a wily and clever character.  I still can't work out whether she's an evil bitch, or trying to do something for the greater good.  Who's side is she on, again?
Zeus I wanted to slap.  -Wow, that is definitely the first time I've used that sentence-
Stephanie I loved.  She gradually seeped in to take Julie's role, without being Julie.  She has so much history, and I hope she has a lot more to give in the next book.

Ok, main three.  *cracks knuckles*

Samantha.  She's great.  She's flawed and in over her head, but she's up for the challenge and has a stubborn streak to see her through.  She's logical, and not afraid to take the lead and get the job done.  Ooh, and you find out more about her mother!  And, and! hints about her father!!

Marcus and Nick are still very similar (what with being twin brothers, and two halves of a soul), but the characters start to flesh out and have their own traits.
Marcus is the black coffee and newspaper guy that is sweetly devoted to Samantha.
Nick is the "troublemaker" that can be a little more passionate about it.  (Ok, the speechmarks?  He's not a bad boy, at all, I wouldn't want you to have that opinion.  He sometimes acts first, thinks later.)
I felt that this book was unfairly leaning towards Nick.  Marcus was definitely in the background, a background cocoon of love for Samantha, as she fell for his brother.  Nick is in the limelight for the majority of the book, and - minor spoiler - even Stephanie was pushing for Nick to win Sam's heart, and this whole prophecy challenge.
I'll be interested to see how book three balances this out, or if we're on the slippery slope to "Nick is the one".

Plotwise, it sweeps you along nicely.  Again, it has that slow, lingering build to answers and more questions.
Destroyed spends more time moving between Earth and Olympus, as the Gods are pulled in to play their parts in a prophecy that has being lying dormant for lifetimes.  There are so many old and new dynamics affecting what is happening in Olympus, and how that feeds down to Earth.  I liked the sections with the Gods, it helped you realise that this is something much bigger than one girl, choosing a boy to love.  It sets up the politics, and potential dangers ahead.

Ok, so why the five stars?  The ending.  I can't help it, I enjoyed the whole book, and that ending just knocked it up an extra mark and demanded I read book three... ok lookee here, Descent all ready to go on my Kindle!

Goodreads link
Amazon.co.uk

Comments

  1. Hey Kelly,

    What a great review. Oh MAN I hated to get rid of Brent too. He's actually fashioned after my own little brother - he's somewhere in all my books. My editor and I decided we needed to wipe out Brent and Ken and focus on the trio, which made sense, but aghghghghghgh....

    And funny enough - Deceived was my first book, written in 2010. I think I used Sam's internal dialog more then because I wasn't sure how to "show" people anything in the scope of writing. I was so new. :) The other books were written last year. Crazy how much I've changed as a writer.

    I sure do appreciate you. This is a fantastic review - made my day, just like the review for Deceived.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Demon Made Me Do It - Indie Love Blog Hop

Trick or Treat Book Blog Hop

Trick-or-Treat Book Blog Hop