Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicle #2)

By Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl


2 out of 5

Synopsis

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen. She struggles to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. Ethan Wate finally meets the girl who haunts his dreams. On her birthday, she must choose good or evil. In a town with no surprises, this secret could change everything.

Review
A part of me wishes I hadn't read any reviews before reading this book. There are a few constant themes in the reviews - that it's very long-winded; Ethan acts like a bitchy high school girl; and he spends so much time slating the clearly less intelligent people around them.
And it's all true. But I kinda think that if I hadn't known these faults before opening the book, they wouldn't have annoyed me as much as they did.

It is a very long book (nearly 600 pages), and I found it hard to keep going, and did put it down several times, wondering if it was worth picking up again. The first half of the book is a blur, in the 300 pages, I couldn't tell you anything that happened. Oh, apart from a broken window, there was a broken window.
The second half was better, things started to pick up. There were interesting revelations, and some action. But with the repetitive denials from Lena, and the equally repetitive half-optimism from Ethan; I kinda wanted Lena to actually turn Dark, an apocalypse looked appealing.

Over the course of the book, there was no point where I felt anything for the young couple that were in love before first sight. Strangely enough, my favourite part was when Link had his dreams come true and became a rock star, with a hot girl/Siren on his arm.

I don't think I'd recommend this book to my friends, but I definitely wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Demon Made Me Do It - Indie Love Blog Hop

Trick or Treat Book Blog Hop

Trick-or-Treat Book Blog Hop